Thursday 20 November 2014

Oh Sheet Mask Box First Impressions

I present to you the Oh Sheet Mask Box. It is a beauty box filled entirely with sheet masks.
If you're a sheet mask nut like myself, this box sounds AMAZING.
You can either go for a monthly subscription service or purchase a one off box for $23 like myself.
This was created by a couple in Thailand who are also in love with sheet masks.
I have to say, I'm liking the homemade box. Very twee.

Here's a link to the About Us section of the Oh Sheet Mask site...

So on the site, this box is describe to contain sheet masks from around Asia and so I had high hopes for this. 
And for my first impression, it has left a bad taste in my mouth and I am not sure if I even want to try out the masks at all.
Why is that?
Because pretty much every single mask in this box was manufactured in China and China does not exactly have a great track record in terms of quality control. I know things are improving.

However, if you're a bit OCD about anything touching your skin, then this fact will make you paranoid about trying the products.
Especially, as these are going onto my face.
I mean, whenever I am in the process of my skincare routine, I touch nothing but the skincare products. And if I touch anything else, I have to wash my hands all over again.

The fact that all these masks were made in China has also caused quiet a big debate on Memebox Addicts Facebook page.
I didn't get involved, but did read through. I must say that I prefer to err on the side of caution.
And coming from that side of the Earth myself, I understand how bad us Asians are for selling knock off's. Hell you just have to visit Baclaran market in the Philippines for a perfect example of that.

Though I suppose it wouldn't hurt to try one or two of them and give it a chance. I mean, that is what's fun with beauty after all. The joy of trying out many different products.

Each box comes with 10 sheet masks of varying properties.


  

Quiet a few of these do look interesting. And as far as I can tell, they are all cotton type sheet masks. 
I was hoping to at least see 1 gel sheet mask and maybe not include 4 snail ones, but instead have a lot more variety. Though, it is still a good selection to choose from.
But then there's this...
I thought I would save the worst for last.

 

Like for real? You're going to include an Innisfree knock off. It's so bad!
Wobechon...for shame, FOR SHAME!

However, they did include one Korean product.
A cleansing foam sample.

Ok, so I understand that this post isn't very informative. Most of these are written with Chinese characters and I don't understand Chinese. So, I cannot give you in depth descriptions.
However, they did provide a card...though it's not that helpful.
1. It doesn't even describe any of the masks. Which would have been a plus, as the majority of these are in Chinese.
&
2. It doesn't state the individual prices of the masks.
Just a list of the ingredients...I don't get it. You can translate the ingredients, but not the descriptions?
But, I guess it's something.
It gives me a heads up of which ones contain parabens.

Overall, I'm not thrilled. I was expecting a mix of masks that are not just from China.

But, I suppose it is my duty as a beauty blogger to give them a chance...so I will give them a go...maybe do a sensitivity test on my wrist first before putting the masks on.

Though I don't think I will be signing up for the subscription service. I understand they are a young company and are having to compete with the big guys like Memebox. So they still have a lot of growing to do.
And if they listen to their reviewers, they can get a lot of ideas on how to improve.

I'll have a look to see what people get in their December box and if it's an improvement on this box, then I may give them another go.
But, for the moment. I think I will stick to ordering sheet masks from Beautynet Korea. Because, at least I will be safe in knowing they are legit masks and not cheap knock offs.

That will be it for now and I shall have to update you guys in a later post.

2 comments:

  1. I really like that they translate all the ingredients.... But it's not an impressive batch of masks . I agree with you, I'd rather just pick and choose ones I'm interested in at the shop... Or a crazy online sale =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully Etude House do another sale on their sheet masks.

      Delete